COCONUT is a very palatable and highly effective conditioning feed but is most often fed to horses in the form of copra, which is a byproduct of coconut oil production. Copra is what is left of coconut meat after most of the oil has been removed. Oil content in copra is about 8%. There are commercially available powdered coconut oil supplements which contain about 65% coconut oil but the other 35% is maltodextrin, which is a highly processed hydrolysed starch, yum. We wanted to use coconut as a conditioner because the fat it provides is not just fabulous for a shiny coat. It is a great energy source – it is made up of Medium Chain Triglycerides which are a very digestible and readily available energy source - so we looked at human food grade coconut milk powder instead and guess what – it has 65% coconut oil content with none of the processing!
It's only recently become possible to source this high oil coconut milk powder in a certified Organic form but source it we did - and that is what we use in our supplements. So the 65% coconut oil is delivered in a whole food context – providing the additional protein, fibre, vitamins and minerals that make coconut such a valuable staple food resource in so many parts of the world. It does contain a little (3%) organic tapioca starch - to stop it forming into solid clumps, a consequence of the high oil content.
As an alternative to the high oil coconut milk, in supplements that benefit from a bit more "chew" and fibre, we use certifed Organic desiccated coconut. Our desiccated coconut contains nothing other than pure Organic coconut meat, with no preservatives or additives but it, like the powder, contains 65% coconut oil.
We use CERTIFIED ORGANIC DESICCATED COCONUT & COCONUT MILK POWDER in the following products: